24 weeks +
20 lessons per week
Level: Beginner to Advanced / Proficient
Maximum in class: 15, in average 12
Course starts every Monday; end Friday
Available all year round
1 lesson = 45 minutes
Taking the time to seriously focus on your English will open up unlimited opportunities for you. Your English level will greatly improve, broadening your horizons and giving you an advantage in your chosen career or education. On a more personal level, spending time learning English abroad will give you incredible experiences. You will challenge yourself, become more independent and make lasting international friendships.
You’ll get more out of this course if
• Your level is between Beginner and Advanced.
• You want to enter university or embark on a masters degree.
• You want to give yourself a clear advantage in the workplace and expand your career opportunities.
• You want to take a worthwhile sabbatical learning English before continuing your education or career.
When joining the Academic Year programme you will:
1. Sit a placement test to determine your current level of English
2. Join a class with others of the same level
3. Meet your teachers, mentor and academic year co-ordinator
4. Receive your language portfolio, tailored to your own personal needs, goals and motivation for learning
5. Embark on a first-class English language course, to develop fluency, accuracy and appropriate uses of English across all four language skills
6. Be provided with excellent guidance, monitoring and feedback throughout your course
7. Receive continual assessment through class tutorials, homework and regular progress and level tests
8. Have confidence that your learning is on track and you are fulfilling your English language potential
Tutorials and support
You will receive three levels of support to ensure your time is as successful and rewarding as possible:
• Regular one-to-one meetings with your personal mentor, who will provide the academic support and advice you need to succeed. Your mentor will help to guide your learning by setting achievable long and short-term goals, and monitoring your progress throughout your course.
• Class tutorials, an additional, personalised layer to your classroom learning. Our teachers pride themselves on being helpful and approachable at all times, but these meetings provide you with a regular opportunity to discuss lesson items, review your private study, and receive specific advice from your class teacher. You will be set extra work to encourage you to address your weak areas, and a reading programme will be set and monitored.
• Your Academic Year Co-ordinator is dedicated to serving your academic needs, and to ensuring you are reaching your learning objectives and developing to your full potential.
As well as all the tuition, personal guidance and support our Academic Year students receive, our School also provides:
• General and nationality-specific pronunciation clinics
• P&M – Structured guidance to help with participation and motivation
• Café Chat – a relaxed forum for students to practise their spoken English in a social context
• Library stocked with books and other resources, for private study time, personal research and reflection
• Full calendar of social and leisure activities
Personal Language Portfolio
At the beginning of your programme, you will receive this unique study pack. With the guidance of your teachers, your Language Portfolio will help you to maximise your language development by:
• assessing your personal learning style and offering strategies to build on your strengths
• evaluating your progress in tests and assignments
• recording your needs and wants as a learner, alongside the skills, experiences and achievements you have gained whilst on the programme